woensdag 23 september 2009

gothic?



Drawing by wool and water, a new favourite artist
I'm not sure where it comes from, but I've been loving the gothic look lately. Not that you'll see me with black tears on my cheeks and massive amounts of eyeliner and black hair dye anytime soon - I'm not talking about My Chemical Romance' kind of gothic; I'm talking about the haute couture, victorian kind: black and white, lace and tulle, doll-like details (see Emilie Simons video which I posted about earlier), pierrot-tights and such. To illustrate what I mean, here's some examples:











































IMAGE SOURCES: WEHEARTIT, SUZY QUE, LIEBEMARLENE, HANNAH AND LANDON
I think what I like best in this style is that it's constantly referring to children's books and fairy tales. Really, I can't remember the last time when a particular clothing style has caused me so much joy. I think it's also suited for me because I just can't pull of the easy Swedish style that bloggers seem to have - you know, put your hair in a bun, wear an oversized holey men's shirt with high-waisted shorts and a pair of studded platform shoes and look breathtakingly fabulous. It takes a little more effort for me than that - if I put on the exact same things I just look like a hobo, so I have to come up with something a way more elaborate. Of course I won't change to full-on Victorian freak right away; but some fragments of it may seep into my wardrobe (like my new weird-cool tights, which I'll post soon after), and I'll continue to search for inspirational people - like Violet Baudelaire.

1 opmerking: